- To help or encourage to exist or flourish; further: to promote world peace.
- To advance in rank, dignity, position, etc. (opposed to demote ).
- Education . to put ahead to the next higher stage or grade, course or series of classes.
- to aid in organizing (business undertakings)
- Of or pertaining to all persons or things belonging to a group or category: a general meeting of the employees.
- Of, pertaining to, or true of such persons or things in the main, with possible exceptions; common to most;
- prevalent; usual: the general mood of the people.
- Not limited to one class, field, product, service, etc.; miscellaneous: the general public; general science.
- The good fortune, health, happiness, prosperity, etc., of a person, group or organization;
- Well-being: to look after a child’s welfare; the physical or moral welfare of society.
Therefore the purpose of government is to help and encourage the prosperity, health and happiness of all people, not limited to one class. Now keeping in mind that the guys who wrote this were white slave owners, and these words did not include women and minorities, one concludes they were not the most inclusive group around. However the intent of that covenant with the citizens of the Baby USA (citizens being white guys, white guys and white guys) was clearly that EVERYONE has the inherent right to prosper, be happy, be healthy and be safe.
Wait, that sounds to me like:
- The Affordable Healthcare Act
- Let’s Move
- Violence Against Women Act
- Marriage Equality
- Police officers. firefighters, emergency services
- FEDERAL DISASTER ASSISTANCE
And every one of these things were OPPOSED by Kentucky’s representatives in the US House and the US Senate. Oh wait. They are privileged white guys. What year is this again? I know what next year is. Next year it will be 2014 and we have an opportunity to make a change for Kentucky and for women.
The power of government is sweeping and all-encompassing. Don’t believe me? Read the Constitution. Legislative, judicial and executive authority is powerful and all-encompassing, tempered with protections for the “blessings of liberty”. So government is the structure within which resides CHOICE: of faith, of sexual orientation, and of how one manages one’s own body, to the extent that choice does not adversely impact society.
The Right is the Party of Anti-Choice. They want to remove individual choice for other faiths, for women to choose what to do with their bodies, and for people to choose whom they will marry. Their policies do NOT promote the general welfare and they are, dare I say, ANTI-HUMAN.
Democrats are Pro Human Choice. Join us to learn more!
- Boone County KY Democrats: boonecountydemocrats.org
- Kentucky Democratic Party: kydemocrats.org
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee: dccc.org
- Why the Right-Wing’s Interpretation of the Constitution Can Only Be Believed If You Haven’t Read It (alternet.org)
- The Right’s Made-up ‘Constitution’ (consortiumnews.com)